The mission of the Sociologists Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) Caucus is to:
- Encourage unprejudiced research on LGBTQ people and their social institutions;
- Provide a forum for current research, teaching methods and materials, and professional issues relevant to LGBTQ people;
- Monitor heterosexist, homophobic, biphobic, and transphobic ideologies in the distribution of sociological knowledge and to investigate practices oppressive to LGBTQ people;
- Oppose discrimination against LGBTQ sociologists in employment, promotion, tenure, and research situations;
- Maintain a social support network among members and build coalitions;
- Maintain a commitment to interrogating and challenging oppressive hierarchies within the LGBTQ Caucus and within ASA as a whole. These hierarchies include, but are not limited to: racism, sexism, ageism, sizeism, ableism, classism, xenophobia, religious discrimination, elitism, mononormativity, metronormativity, regionalism, and homonormativity.